My mission to finish my stack of Works-in-Progress (WIPs) can add this Pink Improv Flower Pillow to its tally for 2018. Last year for Quiltcon 2017, I was given the opportunity by Art Gallery Fabrics to do two demonstrations on stage, one of them being my Improv Flower Quilt Block pattern.
This was my first event interacting with fellow makers in real life, so I honestly wasn’t sure if anyone would be interested in watching me, but I went for it and oh em gee was I blown away by both the attendance and the reception of my demo.
Since I had already made a turquoise/teal version (my favorite colors btw), I asked Helena before the demo which colors I should use and, of course, she chose pink.
So after I got home from Quiltcon 2017, I stitched up the center seams and then placed it on my WIP shelf until a few weeks ago when I was feeling like I needed to sooth my spirit my doing some straight line quilting. For this, I chose a grid-on-point using the Muslin 50 wt from Helena’s Toy Box with Aurifil. This neutral is perfection on anything and definitely got my happy juju flowing.
And since I’m trying to pair my projects with a potential YouTube tutorial each week, I decided to do a pillow back with an invisible zipper in the center and wow is it sharp.
I added interfacing to this print from Bari J’s Wild Bloom Fabrics and I was blown away by how sturdy yet snuggly it became. I’m definitely going to do this many more times.
Here are some goodies I used during this project:
Now this back is pretty, but check out the front. No clue why this was in my WIP pile for so long, but boy am I stoked that it came back for this encore.
Here are a couple additional YouTube tutorials showing some techniques I used in this project. Just click on the image to check them out.
While I don’t promote anything unless I legit love it, this post contains affiliate links.