So ya…. This project was supposed to be a shirt for me with pattern matching in the front and I was gonna be all stylish and stuff. With this print from April Rhodes‘ new Heritage collection and my Ermine 50 wt Aurifil, I knew this was going to be a winner winner chicken dinner.
And like I was actually 95% done before I jacked it up. And it looked cute except I wasn’t stoked with where I placed the pocket.
I wanted it like a half inch higher, so I pulled out my seam ripper and got to picking. But like since I didn’t have a ball point or jersey needle, picking anything apart wasn’t really an option because a standard needle pokes holes into fabric, which is no good with something that stretches. But alas I decided to pick it and move it anyway and it didn’t take long before I realized I should’ve listened to myself. But you know sometimes that’s how we gotta learn. And then I got distracted and this happened.
And trust I tried all the tricks I knew to salvage this, but the position made it impossible. So I folded it neatly, placed it on a shelf, did some yoga breathing and moved on until I was ready to bring this project into its next phase: a dress for Helena.
Many of y’all might not know this, but like I can draft my own patterns and stuff, at least for kiddies and for myself. I just like to use patterns especially when it’s from a new designer to me because I always learn something new. So when I wrecked my shirt, I pretty much knew exactly what I was gonna make for Helena. So once I cut the pieces out in a moment of make-it-work, Helena’s new dress emerged, which is like a modern take on a school-girl uniform.
To think that this was a lemons-to-lemonade situation is funny to me because this dress totally needed to be made I think. So advice when sewing with knit:
- Always use a ballpoint/jersey needle
- Make sure to use one of the stretch stitches
- Seam rippers are not your friend
- Lemonade is really good. I mean Beyoncé. Helloooo….